A Guide to Living in Basel
Fasnacht Cortège (Main Parade)
This highlight of the Basel Fasnacht takes over town on Monday and Wednesday afternoon
Fasnacht “Gugge” Concerts
For a full load of Fasnacht music, come into town on Tuesday evening!
Cavalluna — Land of a Thousand Dreams
This show presents beautiful horses, supreme horsemanship, dream-like music, and a gripping story
Flea Market on the Roof
Outdoor flea market season resumes with these monthly flea markets
Life in Space — The Exhibition
Explore the history of space conquest from the beginning to present day
The Basler Fasnacht – A Unique Festival
Read all about the what, why, when, and where of the Basler Fasnacht
Did You Know?
- Basel’s Suicide Prevention Campaign for Young PeopleCanton Basel-Stadt will be increasing its commitment to suicide prevention over the next few weeks, with a campaign that focuses on young people.
- Switzerland’s New Value Added Tax RatesStarting January 1, 2024, Switzerland raised their “Mehrwertsteuer” (value added tax; VAT) rates.
- Fare Changes on the TNW Public Transport SystemThe cost of public transport in Switzerland is going up, including in the Tarifverbund Nordwestschweiz (TNW) that provides public transport in Basel and surrounding areas.
- Swiss Post’s New Prices for Letters and ParcelsSwiss Post has raised their prices for letters and parcels (both regular and registered), as of January 1, 2024.
- The 2024 Fasnacht Badge Has Been RevealedOn December 28, Basel’s Fasnacht Committee, which is the main organizing organization behind Basel’s famous carnival, revealed the design of the 2024 “Plakette” (badge).
- Get Your Auto-Vignette Highway Sticker or E-Vignette Now!If you use the motorways in Switzerland, you should purchase a “Autobahn Vignette” (toll sticker), either a traditional sticker or a digital sticker, now.
- The Basel Region Has a Strong Voice in Swiss PoliticsThe Basel region recently has gained quite a bit in political stature, with three politicians now in top positions in government and legislature.
- Drinking and Driving — What Is the Law in Switzerland?As the number of parties, outings, and celebrations increases drastically during the Holiday Season, so does, unfortunately, the incidence of drinking and driving.