Open Gyms in the Winter Months
In an effort to get kids moving during the colder season, some local schools open their sports halls on weekends in the winter months to let kids play sports. These programs are sponsored by the Erziehungsdepartement des Kanton Basel-Stadt (Basel’s Education Department) and other organizations and are therefore free to the public and require no reservation or registration. There are three different programs.
MiniMove Basel invites kids ages 2-5 accompanied by their parents to play and move in large spaces from 14:30–17:30. There are plenty of sports equipment and project leaders on hand to stimulate active play. The program takes place in three locations in Basel:
- MiniMove Bläsi is held at Turnhallen Bläsi (Müllheimerstrasse 94, 4057 Basel). For this season’s dates, go to https://www.ideesport.ch/projekte/minimove-blaesi/.
- “MiniMove Thierstein” is held at Turnhalle Schulhaus Thierstein (Bärschwilerstrasse 11). For this season’s dates, go to https://www.ideesport.ch/projekte/minimove-thierstein/.
- “MiniMove Lysbüchel” is held at Primarstufe Lysbüchel near Novartis (Lysbüchelstrasse 1, 4056 Basel). For this season’s dates, go to https://www.ideesport.ch/projekte/minimove-lysbuechel/.
“OpenSunday” welcomes kids ages 6–12 to play sports. They can just drop in between 14:00–17:00; all they need to bring are sports clothes, sports shoes, and parents’ telephone number. There are three locations in Basel and Riehen:
- “OpenSunday Kleinbasel” will be held at the Turnhalle of the Primarschule Insel in Kleinbasel (Inselstrasse 45, 4057 Basel). For this season’s dates, go to For this season’s dates, go to https://www.ideesport.ch/projekte/opensunday-kleinbasel/.
- “OpenSunday Gundeli,” which is suitable for kids with and without handicaps, will be held at Turnhallen Primarschule Brunnmatt in Gundeli (Ingelsteinweg 6, 4053 Basel). For this season’s dates, go to https://www.ideesport.ch/projekte/opensunday-gundeli/.
- “OpenSunday Riehen” will be held at the Sporthalle Wasserstelzen (Wasserstelzenweg 15, 4125 Riehen). For this season’s dates, go to https://www.ideesport.ch/projekte/opensunday-riehen/.
“Midnight Sports” provides a safe alternative to loitering and drinking alcohol for teens ages 12-17 or 12-25, depending on the location. From autumn until spring, teens can get together to play games and sports like basketball, football, and volleyball on Saturday evenings. There are several locations for Midnight Sports in and around Basel.
- Midnight Sports Gundeliwhich will feature chilling, music, and sport, takes place at Turnhalle OS-Brunmatt (Ingelsteinweg 6, 4053 Basel) from 19:30-22:30. Für this season’s dates, go to https://www.ideesport.ch/projekte/midnightsports-gundeli/.
- Midnight Sports Riehen will feature basketball, chilling, football, kiosk, fun, special events, table tennis, and table soccer. It will take place at Sporthalle Niederholz (Niederholzstrasse 95, 4125 Riehen) from 20:00-23:00. For this season’s dates, go to https://www.ideesport.ch/projekte/midnightsports-riehen-2/.
- Midnight Sports 4056, which will feature basketball, chilling, football, kiosk, fun, and other sports, takes place at Primarstufe Lysbüchel near Novartis (Lysbüchelstrasse 1, 4056 Basel). For this season’s dates, go to https://www.ideesport.ch/projekte/midnightsports-4056/.
- Midnight Sports Muttenz, which will feature basketball, chilling out, football, kiosk, music, fun, sports, and table tennis, takes place at Margelacker schulhaus (Reichensteinerstrasse 2, 4132 Muttenz) from 20:30-23:30. For this season’s dates, go to https://www.ideesport.ch/projekte/midnightsports-muttenz/.
- Midnight Sports Binningen, featuring music, fun, and sport will take place at Sporthalle Spiegelfeld Nord/Süd (Wassergrabenstrasse 21, 4102 Binningen) from 19:30-22:30. For this season’s dates, go to https://www.ideesport.ch/projekte/midnightsports-binningen/.
- Midnight Sports Rheinfelden, featuring basketball, football, kiosk, music, table tennis, and volleyball, takes place at Turnhalle Augarten (Waldhofstrasse 34, 4310 Rheinfelden). For this year’s dates, go to https://www.ideesport.ch/projekte/midnightsports-rheinfelden or https://www.schjkk.ch/18/schueler-jugend-kinder.php?DOC_INST=13.
For more information, check their website: https://www.ideesport.chShare