Culture & Traditions
- Advent Traditions — Four Candles on a Wreath and CalendarsIn this region, the four weeks before Christmas, known as Advent, bring with them traditions that you may not be familiar with.
- History of the Basler Herbstmesse (Fall Fair)The Basler Herbstmesse (fall fair) is not only an absolute highlight in Basel's annual calendar but the oldest and largest fair in Switzerland.
- When the Cows are Coming Home — Traditional Alpine DescentsEvery fall, the return of the farm animals from their summer pastures in the mountains into the valleys is celebrated with traditional festivals
- Traditional Swiss Sports Come to Pratteln!With the Eidgenössisches Schwing- und Älplerfest coming to Pratteln, learn what the traditional Swiss sports of Schwingen, Hornussen, and Steinstossen are all about.
Culture & Traditions Archive
- Swiss Traditions
- Inside Basel
- Outdoor Places & Institutions
- Summer Sports
- Swiss food & drink
- Show all
- Advent Traditions — Four Candles on a Wreath and Calendars
- History of the Basler Herbstmesse (Fall Fair)
- When the Cows are Coming Home — Traditional Alpine Descents
- Traditional Swiss Sports Come to Pratteln!
- Happy Birthday Switzerland!
- Banntag (Community Border Inspection Day)
- The “Eierleset”—Not Your Typical Egg-and-Spoon Race
- The Glorious Asparagus
- The Basler Fasnacht (Basel Carnival)
- The Basler Fasnacht – A Unique Festival
- Basel’s Fasnachtsplakette (Fasnacht Badges)
- To Love or not to Love “Love Locks”
- Vogel Gryff Ceremony
- Basel’s Basilisks
- Archaeological Information Stations Behind the Stadtcasino Basel
- Cheese Fondue