Art Fair Week in Basel
Nearly 100,000 visitors from the art world descend on Basel for a few days each June for Art Basel, transforming our cultural city on the Rhein into the center of the art world. With so many gallerists, collectors, museums curators, press, art enthusiasts, and VIPs from the art world in town for this show, it is no surprise that a growing number of other high-quality art fairs and exhibitions that focus on different aspects of modern and contemporary art have been running in parallel with Art Basel for nearly two decades, creating a region-wide art week.
Art Basel is the world’s most prestigious international art show for modern and contemporary works. Founded in 1970 by three Basel gallerists—Ernst Beyeler, Trudi Bruckner, and Balz Hilt—Art Basel was the first international art fair. At its inception more than 50 years ago, it included 90 galleries and 30 publishers from 10 countries and attracted 16,000 visitors. Since then, the fair has grown tremendously to include a wide range of art forms and of course infinitely greater numbers of galleries and artists. The 2023 edition of Art Basel in Basel will feature 284 of the world’s leading galleries from across the globe, showcasing the highest quality of works across all media including painting, sculpture, photography, and digital artworks.
This year, in addition to Art Basel, you can look forward to the following associated fairs:
- Design Miami / Basel, a global forum for design that brings together the best and most influential collectors, critics, curators, designers, and gallerists from around the world in celebration of design culture and commerce
- VOLTA Basel, which fosters galleries in staging ambitious solo and group presentations, refining the experience to its essential elements—the artists and their work—with a focus on compelling visual statements by up-and-coming and established artists; VOLTA cultivates a vibrant and approachable environment of discovery for the engaged collector
- LISTE Art Fair, one of the most important fairs for young galleries that present emerging, little-known artists, as well as a meeting place for members of the international art world who are interested in a new generation of galleries and artists
- photo basel, Switzerland’s first and only international art fair dedicated to photography-based art that brings together galleries from around the world in a unique, authentic setting
- Art Book Fair: I Never Read, which aims to offer a platform for all kinds of art and artists’ publications, bringing together national and international, institutional and independent publishers as well as artists, art schools, and book lovers
Check out the individual entries on the calendar for more information about each art fair; they can easily be identified by selecting the “Art Fair Week” tag at the top of the calendar.Share